We learned about what Solubility means in Science. Then we did a really neat experiment.
These supplies are needed:
4 plastic glasses (1 for each test material)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of sand
1 teaspoon of salad or cooking oil
a plastic spoon or wooden stick for stirring
Follow these directions and answer these questions.
1. Fill each of the four glasses half-full of water.
2. Number each of the glasses 1 - 4.
3. In glass number 1 add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir.
Did the salt disappear?
Yes, after mixing it was completely gone
Is salt soluble in water?
4. In glass number 2 add 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir.
Did the sugar disappear?
Yes, after mixing it was gone
Is sugar soluble in water?
5. In glass number 3 add 1 teaspoon of sand and stir.
Did the sand disappear?
No, it mixed with the water, but was still there
Is sand soluble in water?
6. In glass number 4 add 1 teaspoon of oil and stir.
Did the oil disappear?
No, it floated on top of the water
Is oil soluble in water?